3 January 2011

Rare Toscanini 002: Brahms - BBC Symphony





Sound quality is poor, but both performances are awesome.
Especially German Requiem is much, much better than in NBC 1943 version.

In fine sound, as appendix, the studio recording of Brahms Tragic overture (again with BBC SO).



JOHANNES BRAHMS

CD1
1) Announce
2) Tragic overture, op. 81
3) Announce

Ein Deutsches Requiem (beginning) (*)
4) I. "Selig sind, die da Leid tragen“
5) II. "Denn alles Fleisch“ (Allegro non troppo)


CD 2 - Ein Deutsches Requiem (conclusion)
1) III. "Herr, lehre doch mich“ (Andante moderato)
2) IV. "Wie lieblich sind deine Wohnungen“
3) V. "Ihr habt nun Traurigkeit“
4) VI. "Denn wir haben hie keine bleibende Statt“
5) VII. "Selig sind die Toten“
6) Announce

Isobel Baillie, sopran
Alexander Sved, baritone

BBC Chorus (*)
BBC Symphony Orchestra
ARTURO TOSCANINI, conductor
London, Queen's Hall - Live, 30 october 1937

Appendix
7) Tragic overture, op. 81
BBC Symphhony Orchestra
ARTURO TOSCANINI, conductor

(Studio recording)
London, Queen's Hall - October 21,22 & 25, 1937


Mega - Updated link
https://mega.nz/#!uTwGUQba!KcSZP6YqC6qAs4RGp3afMzR-xvxF_mw1iTNUFSnssrw

3 comments:

arel64 said...

Great share. Thank you, Guido.

I enjoy these performances as much as the new state-of-the-art recordings.

Peter Gutmann said...

Dear Guido --

I have a question and hope you can help me. I was about to post an update to my classicalnotes article on the German Requiem to include this (and to comment on its bewildering deliberative pace) but I’m perplexed by the extreme difference between this performance (about 83 minutes without the pauses between movements) and Toscanini's well-known 1943 NBC one (about 70), especially since the Tragic Overture from the same concert is virtually identical to Toscanini’s 1935 BBC version (and both are about a minute faster than his “approved” 1953 NBC broadcast). I’m familiar with all of Toscanini’s commercial recordings plus 100 or so of his NBC, BBC, NY Philharmonic, Lucerne, La Scala, etc. concerts but I can’t recall any other disparity even close to this large. I suppose the nearest might be his two NY Philharmonic MSND Scherzos from 1926 on Brunswick (5:00) and 1929 on Victor (4:16). So I would like to respectfully ask whether you are confident that this really is a Toscanini concert and not possibly misattributed from someone else? I guess in these days of fake news I’m becoming too skeptical for my own good, but I thought I’d ask if you were comfortable with the authenticity of your source. To me it just seems so very unlike anything else I've ever heard by Toscanini.

Thanks in advance for your consideration -- and of course for all the wonderful material you post!!

Peter Gutmann

DonR said...

I have tried to reduce some of the sonic deficiencies and non-musical sounds in this recording. I would like to send a copy to you. I also have tried the same techniques on the Toscanini Walkure rehearsals.
Please let me know how I may send to you.
Thanks for your wonderful blog posts and uploads.
DonR