16 May 2020

Cantelli Centenary 11 - Debussy, Ravel, Respighi





Here a very personal and accurate selection:
so, the term "highlights" does not mean "useless jumble"
as in some... well, MOST terrible CDs and LPs.

Three of my favorite Cantelli live recordings
(collected from the most varied sources over the years)
not only for their artistic value,
but also in terms of sound quality.

Indeed, these are particularly "vivid" and "present" performances:
of course as far as possible with sources from the early/mid 50s.

Therefore I strongly recommend this download,
even more than the previous ones...

FLAC (3 separated tracks)





NOTE:
About the AS, unfortunately some Cantelli CDs are completely bronzed & "gone":
Liszt Piano Concertos, a Respighi-Pizzetti-Ghedini selection, Mozart's Requiem...
The latter, in any case, had a terrible sound;
moreover, is still available a restoration
that "does everything possible" with a very bad source.

I've the same problem with some rare Bruno Walter CDs,
which I would have gladly uploaded otherwise.

Anyway, the next "chapter" will be the final one.
But if you liked this "Centenary series",
I could go on in the next months with some additions.
So, let me know...


13 comments:

Guido said...

http://www.mediafire.com/file/q0782o8prve6aik/LIVEHI.zip/file

Sky Raven said...

Guido - thank you for these great recordings, especially the Debussy La Mer (which is next to impossible to find). Sorry to hear about your AS Discs... not uncommon with these (some of mine are also "toast"). Your "Centenary series" has been splendid... if you have others to add they would be most appreciated. Thanks again, Burt

Guido said...

Hi, Burt.
Thanks for your kind words and for your appreciation!

I'm preparing another "special" post to conclude.
And of course I've more Cantelli - AS, but I need to check, rip, scan etc.
I'll do it, but more calmly :)

I wanted to do a "concentrated" series for the anniversary,
and meanwhile understand if there is enough interest to continue.
I think so, but let me all know in the comments. Cheers!

gabor said...

Guido, many thanks for these wonderful uploads. Can you upload the other Requiem as well ?

Dr. Ronald Carlson said...

Guido,

Thank you very much, once again, for sharing your treasured recordings with us!

I know we are all eagerly anticipating your future offerings!

All best wishes,

Ron

Eric said...

Great tribute to a great conductor.

Satyr said...

Hi Guido, I like the AS discs uploads very much. I have many AS discs myself, and I am digitalizing them, so let me know if you want to download those discs and/or use them to post on your own blog, Best wishes and thanks for your uploads, Satyr

woland said...

I can try to check if I can supply the other AS Discs, I have a bunch of rips somewhere.


This set of live recordings is great. Another Cantelli concert I really like is the one from Edinburgh reissued by ICA classics. Both the Schumann 4th and Debussy Martyre are among my favorite readings of each work.

centuri said...

Many thanks for this rarity; I enjoyed particularly La Mer more lively than his studio recording with Philharmonia.

Beto said...

Great,great,great. We want more, much more.

billinrio said...

Your web site is a continual source of treasures. The Cantelli collection is remarkable. Please do "go on in the months with some additions".

CetA-HD said...


Your Cantelli series is truly remarkable.
Here are some Debussy recordings conducted by Cantelli, from tapes:
https://concertsarchiveshd.fr/tag/debussy/

fimian said...

Guido io ho ancora di Cantelli in ottime condizioni
AS 507 Respighi Pizzetti Ghedini
AS 515 Piston Copland Creston Barber Miller
AS 522 Hindemith

Perciò non esitare a chiedere! Grazie per il tuo meraviglioso blog e la ripubblicazione dei Cantelli....
Beppe
Giuseppe De Fusco beppedefusco@gmail.com