22 November 2022

Bernstein conducts Bernstein & Bach


 


Bernstein had already performed his Chicester Psalms in Rome with the same orchestra (1967, recording previously posted here); he also presented his work many years later, conducting the Santa Cecilia Orchestra. The curious fact is that at the opening of this 1973 concert - in the presence of Pope Paul VI - for the first time a musical page with a Hebrew text was performed in Vatican City!


BERNSTEIN

Chichester Psalms


BACH

Magnificat in D Major, BWV 243


soprano I, soprano II, elements of the children's choir

controtenore, William Zukof

tenore, Eberhard Buchner

basso, Kurt Moll


Harvard Glee Club and Newark Boys Chorus

choir masters: James Mc Carthy, F. John Adams, Gianni Lazzari

Orchestra e Coro di Roma della Rai

LEONARD BERNSTEIN


Live - June 23, 1973

Sala Nervi, Città del Vaticano


FLAC







4 comments:

Guido said...

https://www.mediafire.com/file/uso88q153a0x9kw/LBVATICAN73.zip/file

Contessa di Ceprano said...

Thank you! I know this Magnificat since quite a while. I wonder if there is a better sounding stereo version of that in the RAI archives but never managed to find out.

Vaughan said...

Fantastic, thank you... I never cease to be amazed by the brilliance of LB.

Michelangelo said...

This is a recording that I listened first time in the Italian radio, after midnight, in a summer evening when I was 15 yo. It is were all started for me. The Pope is reported been saying to LB, "an American that teaches us italian to play Bach". Ever since, this record has been sort of "Obsession" for me. I've been able to find a lp pressing made by Italian radio and "not for sale", never had the guts to let it spin. It is a reliquary to me. Where did you find this recording?