16 February 2019

Mahler 2 - Cleveland, Bernstein (1970)




MAHLER
Symphony no. 2

Lorna HEYWOOD, sp
Christa LUDWIG, ms
Cleveland Chorus & Orchestra
LEONARD BERNSTEIN
July.9.1970
Blossom Music Festival



How to resurrect a blog?
Well, making it rise again through a change of rules.

Unfortunately, the rules have been set by me.
Fortunately have been changed by me.

So, remaining firm the concept that I'll not upload recent material,
sometimes in the case of unpublished live concerts we'll get to the '80s.

It may happen that you already have some of these proposals in your collection:
I can't check the whole web to see if it is like this or not,
but I'll try to select the best sources even in case of historical documents already known and widespread.

In particular, this is not the only mahlerian surprise in my drawer.


About this 2nd...

Perhaps a discontinuous and less inspired reading compared to the famous versions "officially" recorded in audio...
and video (with the London Symphony in Ely Cathedral, the most majestic and overwhelming), but full of beautiful moments and worthy of careful listening.

Not to mention the sound of the Cleveland,
already an additional interest.

A summer performance during the Blossom Festival:
so a "casual" audience was present,
also judging by the applause that followed I and II mov.

BTW It's the only appearance of Lenny on the podium of this orchestra;
morover, just in the days of the illness of George Szell, already hospitalized;
he died a few days later (July 30th).


Warning: a bit of tape hiss (untouched) which one must get used to for a while
and a disgraceful little "jump" in the terrifying "collapse" at the very end of the first movement.



FLAC
see comments


- Bruckner Mass 3 Celi reuploaded
- Pictures Reiner/Dorati reuploaded
- Bruno Walter portrait reuploaded
- Tchaikovsky 5 Furtwängler reuploaded
- Stokowski conducts Harrison, Weber, Goeb reuploaded



15 comments:

Guido said...

https://mega.nz/#!bah0RCxR!bVcSr2V0kcuo52iGXcjbIIPre9qIj3f7MUH9RuvNYjM

rubingould said...

Thanks!

Néstor Castiglione said...

Welcome back! You’ve been sorely missed!

slarty said...

So glad that you are again up and running.

La Danse de Puck said...

GUIDO!!!!! you are BACK!!! I can't believe it!!!! I have worked so hard putting your uploads from way back to share with others..... Am totally and completely GLORIOUSLY HAPPY to see you back...... All my love, I've missed you like mad!!! MARIA IN BUENOS AIRES!!!

aquila said...

Bentornato!!!

Louis said...

Dear Guido,

A huge thank you for your generous shares. I have downloaded the Mahler 2 and some of the Rare Toscaninis. I am really looking forward to listening to these.

Do you have or know where to access a live Toscanini BBC SO performance of Beethoven 5? I read somewhere that it is supposed to be an excellent performance, comparable to his NYPO and 1939 NBC ones.

Best,
Louis

sneffels said...

I'm so happy you're back!
You have such wonderful music to share with us!
Thank you so much!

Guido said...

Thanks! Welcome! Ciao a tutti!

@Louis
Well, surely I've the Fifth recorded live on May 12, 1939 (Queen's Hall).
Another BBC performance (may 23, 1938) survives, but I'm not sure about
the authenticity of the source in my possession. I'll check everything in the next days.
Cheers
Guido

Louis said...

Thanks, Guido.

Best,
Louis

classicalduck said...

Guido, I'm so glad to see you posting your treasures again. I hope you are well.

Guido said...

@Classicalduck
Thank you very much!

Mr Fox said...

Hello Guido the link is not working for me. Can you repost ? Thank you very much for this blog and the records in it. Marcos

Guido said...

I've tried and the link still works...

Anonymous said...

Sadly, this link has expired. I am listening to a broadcast of this extraordinary performance. a re-up would be greatly appreciated!